Friday, May 13, 2005

locke, ca

TODAY IS MY DAY OFF, and Maila was at work. I decided to take the daughter and visit my brother in Stockton (and borrow his beautiful DeWalt miter saw while I was there).

But for some time I've been meaning also to visit the picturesque little town of Locke. So, I took the opportunity to pass by along the way.

Described as America’s last rural Chinese town, it was constructed in the early 1900s by Chinese immigrants in the Walnut Grove area who decided to establish their own town.

Today, its main street is lined with small art shops, a museum, and some eateries.

Locke, CA is located about 30 miles south of Sacramento. I was glad to have visited the town, and my only regret is that it was early when I was there and I wasn’t able to talk to anyone. I would like to return someday, on a weekend, to see what it’s like with people around.
---------------------------


Some of the shops along the street.


The River Road Gallery.




The Star Theatre Building: if this building seems to be leaning, that’s because it is. It may be easier to visualize when compared to the building on the right side of the photo.
In spite of the age of the town, there is a bit of playful, updated color around. The balconies above the shops overlook the main street, and apparently are still in use.


A final shot of the main street.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]