Tuesday, August 16, 2005

sights while gardening

Once, in the Philippines when I was a kid, I woke up and noticed a praying mantis standing at my bedroom door.

(Anyone who knows praying mantises knows how these evil creatures do this bouncing motion as someone goes near it, just preparing to pounce on you and eat you alive).

I was stuck in my bed with fear for about 2 hours, watching the mantis, praying that it would go away. Today, I can't remember how I managed to get out of the bedroom.

Yesterday, doing my (long overdue) gardening, I almost jumped when I saw this one, perfectly camouflaged among the long green blades of our agapanthus plants. And no, don't let its beautiful green color deceive you. After all of these years, they are still evil.

And you can imagine my sheer horror when I looked at this photo and found it staring right at me!


Clearing branches on one of my trees, I noticed that this bird on the ground was barely moving away. Either it was hurt, or it may have been protecting something. I decided to leave it alone. I guess I'll check the area later today to see if it's still around.


Kayla and Isabel playing around, fascinated by newly cut branches.


Take care till next time. Bye for now...

Comments:
Hey Uncle James!

whooo. I love the mantis picture. haha! and the bird that was on the floor is called a Mourning Dove I think. Alot of them used to nest around our house.

take care,
brian
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]